If you take a moment to reflect on your first big dream as a kid, when you are asked “who do you want to be or want to do when you grow up”, you might surprise yourself today with the answer. Some of us reached exactly what we wanted, some not yet, and some of us are still unsure what that may be. Our BIG DREAM is turning into identifying our BIG WHY!
At some point in our life, we lost touch with that dream or our why, and in some rare cases, we may not remember that we had one. The best part is that we can reconnect or discover a new dream in our life right now, right? Regardless what role we may play in our personal or professional life, we all are at some point looking for game changing or transformational opportunities that will lead us on the path that we want and hope to reach, moving from where we are to where we want to be. We are all looking for our path to greatness or excellence in life! But to do that, consistent commitment and work is required despite challenges, obstacles or fears we face very day.
But somehow in the process of growing up and numerous life experiences, we get exposed to so many factors, especially fears, that keep us frozen, paralyzed, and sinking deeper into nonaction. At other times, we are making leaps and bounds ranging from small baby steps to sprints and marathons. How is this possible.
I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it.
~ Nelson Mandela
Great leaders take courageous risks, despite how hard choices or decisions at hand may be. They act despite their fears, knowing that by not taking action is not going to get them where they need or want to be anytime soon. For some of us, the issue is not the fear of failure, rejection or success. Instead, the fear is of being in the same place months, or even a year later from where we are today! True leaders just don’t let that happen – they step up and take massive action regardless of the unknown or fear factors. They face the same fears as everyone else, but they don’t let fears control their lives and decisions. They choose to act despite their fears.
All of us are at some point paralyzed by facing fear. But the question is what we choose to do with it.
The following eight steps that assist risk takers to move forward whenever facing any fear:
1. Take a step – And then two, and slowly start moving, staying in the game or, at least, practicing the game! They are avoiding the paralysis of non-action and sinking in the quicksand. They know that any movement, no matter how small, will lead to building a momentum or tenacity to move forward.
2. Face the fear – Or better yet, face the truth of their current fears head-on. The fact is that many of our fears at any giving moment are not unjustified looking from a bigger life perspective. Often by allowing the change in perspective will unleash a positive force to act.
Play bold, play bigger and play full out! ~ The World Messenger
3. Erase negative influence – Memories, experiences and situations that we experience first hand or witness around us can hold us hostage to make progress. The best thing to do is to leave the past in the past and embrace the present moment. Some previous lessons may be valuable but bringing fear issues from the past is not.
4. Allow change – Nothing great will happen if you stay where you are, especially if you outgrow your job, relationship, or team! To get where you want to be it is essential to embrace the change or transformation by allowing new possibilities to occur and for you to contribute in a more meaningful way.
5. Loosen up – Relax as much as you can. State of fear, especially over a longer period, can be very stressful and detrimental to your health, behavior, or relationships with people around you. When you loosen up, you can make so much better decisions and accomplish more for a less time.
6. Listen to Intuition – Your internal guide or GPS system aka Intuition will serve you so well when you allow yourself to pay attention to it. It will guide you through what is the best thing for you to do and with whom. It will help you to make better decisions for yourself. The best part is that it will allow you to select the right goals, type of people, mentors, and influencers in your life that will move you closer to where you want to be fear free.
7. Act with confidence – Risk taking leaders will act with confidence even if they are going to a new, unknown destination that they have never been to before. They will arm themselves with self-esteem and trust in themselves even at the times no one else is there to support them. I am sure that we all had to be our own cheerleaders at some point in our lives.
To know what is possible, we need to seek, embrace, and act on the impossible.” ~ The Word Messenger
8. Let go – They let go of things or situations that they are not longer useful or helpful to them, their teams and business in general. They do not look back, but instead look ahead to see where they are going! The best part is that they do not bring with them anger, feuds or conflicts that are hindering their current and future success – a true art of a great leader. They don’t see everything and everyone as a threat or as a personal attack.
This leads to opportunity to reflect and ask yourself the following questions to accomplish your specific goals:
1. What must I learn immediately?
2. What must I do – new or differently?
3. What must I start doing right now?
4. What must I stop doing right now?
5. Whose assistance must I seek out?
True greatness cannot be reached in fear. It can only be reached by conquering fear! ~ The Word Messenger
In the end, to accomplish your massive leadership success despite of fears:
The time is always right to do what is right.” ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
So, moving forward today, do what is right for you! Love to learn more? Please listen to my Podcast interview with Walt Grassl – Stand Up & Speak Up and read my #1 International Best Selling Book, The World Messenger: From Fear to Greatness.
Before heading to NYC and Washington DC in February, I will be offering High-Performance Impact Leadership & Management training to a small and intimate group the of executives in Denver, CO on January 29th through 31st. Contact me directly for more information, and to understand whether you will be a good fit with the groups I am assembling at Izabela@IzabelaLundberg.com or LinkedIn private message.
Leave a Legacy – A Legacy That Matters!
Be a Legend – Your Legendary Way!
Learn… Lead… Love… Izabela Lundberg (@IzabelaLundberg) is CEO and Founder of Izabela Lundberg International. She is an Executive Consultant, Trainer & Speaker for Fortune 500 and Professional Athletes & Coaches. She is #1 International Best Selling Author & Leading Authority of Leadership Transformation From Fear to Greatness. Drawing on her extensive global business management, diversity, and high-performance impact expertise through her work with people from over 80 countries, Izabela also writes and speaks on topics such us Strategic Leadership & Influence, Legacy Leadership, & #HighPerformance #Impact.